Written By: June Bachman ~
2/2/2012 9:00:00 AM
There are two important things to keep in mind about your primary policy:
- The federal government views privacy policies as a contract between websites and their visitors. If you fail to deliver what you promise, the Federal Trade Commission can find you liable for damages.
- Have you included all of the information/data that you collect about your visitors?
- Sharing Personal Information – Include in your policy all of the ways you may share the information collected with other companies. Think about the different ways you market, and don’t forget about any third parties with whom you may share the information.
- Website Hosting Company – Make sure your website hosting company is contractually bound to maintain the privacy and security of personal information you collect.
- Linking to Other Websites – If you link to other websites, include information that directs website users to also review the privacy policies of those websites. Clearly indicate that you are not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of sites to which you link.